DIY Strawberry rhubarb soda




Have you bought any local strawberries yet? I picked some up last week at my local farmer's market along with a bunch of fresh rhubarb and I made Strawberry rhubarb soda. It's so refreshing. Just the right balance of sweet and tart. I had never used rhubarb in a recipe but really wanted to give it a try.





I came across a rhubarb soda recipe on Chatelaine here but adapted it to include fresh strawberries. You can also do this with raspberries and it's equally delicious. A facebook friend suggested this would be good in Prosecco. I love that idea. I think Monday night is a perfect time for that, right?

Here is my adapted version of the syrup recipe. I added it to bubbly water made with my Sodastream. I think this could be good if you add a drop or two of vanilla to the recipe. I'll try that next time.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup roughly chopped rhubarb
  • 1 cup chopped strawberries or raspberries

Method:

Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a medium pot.  Add the fruit. Stir.
Cover the pot. Turn off the heat. Let sit for an hour. Strain the mixture, separating the fruit from the syrup. Let the syrup cool and pour into glass bottle. Refrigerate.
 PS. Keep the fruit because it's great on vanilla ice cream :)




No comments

Thanks so much for your comments!